Last updated on 18th November, 2017 at 09:46 am

All for travelers to Corfu in Greece

A travel blog that reveals all the secrets and deals with the famous beauties of Corfu

Corfu: The New Fortress

Last updated on 7th January, 2018 at 06:21 pm

The New Fortress

Another example of the high capacity of Venetians in fortification, and an architectural marvel of art built by the Venetians and with physical labor of the inhabitants from 1576 until 1645.

Venetians due to the permanent threat of the Turks, felt that it was necessary to complete the fortifications of the city which meanwhile had been extended far beyond the old fortress.

They started the construction of the new fortress on the hill of San Marcos extended south with walls and ramparts reaching the sea at Garitsa bay, Corfu is now all within the walls, it was then that Corfu took the name Kastropolis.

To become a fortress, except the exhaustive work of the residents, 2,000 houses in particular where now stands the vast Esplanade square had to be demolished.

The reasons that this happened was not only to find building materials, but primarily defensive, the Venetians wanted to create a large buffer zone between the old fortress and the city which would help better their defense plans.

So today Corfu has perhaps the largest square in Europe, the famous Esplanade.

At the entrance of the castle is still the emblem of Venice, the lion of Saint Markos, while inside the fortress is worth seeing the underground galleries, reservoirs and ammunition depots.

The fortress also houses the Museum of Ceramic Art, photography, painting, sculpture as well as concerts and other cultural events.

Inside the fortress today there is also the Naval Station of Corfu.

The Old Fortress in Corfu

Last updated on 7th January, 2018 at 06:25 pm

The Old Fortress

This was originally a natural promontory offering in it`s rocks protection for the residents of the 5th century AD when the ancient city of Corfu was moved here after the destruction of the ancient city by the Visigoths.

Converted into a fortress by the Byzantines in the 8th century AD and contained all of the small medieval town.

The rock was always further reinforced to protect the city from the numerous invasions of the Middle Ages, and gradually the town grew around it.

Later the Venetians, because of the Turkish threat, strengthened its fortifications, extended the bastions and dug the moat known as the kontra fossa separating the fortress from the land.

This way the Venetians created an impenetrable triple line of defense both by land and from the sea.

Inside the old fortress in 1840 the Doric church of St. George was built by the British as a garrison church.

Most buildings that were inside the fort have now been demolished but deserving attention is the central gate, the bastions of Savornian, Martinengo and Mandraki, the towers of the land and the sea at the east, the English hospital and the English barracks, the clock tower and the lighthouse.

There is still a prison built in 1786 by the Venetians, which was later expanded by the British, the military chapel and the two English barracks in 1850.

The military hospital now houses the Music Department of Ionian University.

The fortress also contains the historical records of more than six centuries of history, the Byzantine collection of sculptures and images of the Byzantine era, and the public library.

At the entrance of the fortress on the upper Esplanade is the statue of Prussian Marshal Johann Matthias von der Schulenburg, built by the Venetians in his honour after he successfully repelled the Turkish invasion of 1716.

Today the fortress is a masterpiece of architecture and fortification art while offering visitors the best views of the city, its harbour, and over the sea to the mountains of Epirus.

The bell tower of Annunziata in Corfu

Last updated on 13th January, 2018 at 09:01 pm

Annunziata, a monument of pan-European significance

At the intersection of Evgeniou Voulgareos and Vrahlioti streets in Corfu, is the Annunziata, a church devoted to the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary as well as to Santa Luccia, it was the Catholic Church of Lontsiada as the Corfiots knew it.

It was built at the end of the 14th century by the Napoletán captain Petró Capece and dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary since March 25th is the date of the founding of the Venetian Republic.

At the inauguration ceremony where all the nobles of Corfu attended, Petró Capece handed over the church to the Order of the Augustinians, giving Nicolo Russino, a representative of the battalion, a commemorative stick, a symbol of transfer.

Today the church does not exist, first destroyed by the German bombings on September 14th 1943 and later, instead of being repaired, it was demolished without a serious reason in 1953 during the mandate of the mayor Stamatios Dessylas.

It is not the only monument in Corfu that has been demolished without reason, the same has happened with the old municipal theater, so did with Porta Reale, the main gate of the old city …

Today, only the characteristic bell tower of Annunziata remains stand, which is a monument of pan-European significance, this is due to its relationship with one of the most important events of world history, one of the greatest naval battles of all times, the naval battle of Nafpaktos in 1571 among the fleets of the Holy Alliance, ie the fleets of Venice, Spain, Naples, Sicily, Genoa and Malta against the Ottoman`s (undefeated untill then) Tourkish fleet.

In the naval battle that took place in the bay of Patras opposite Nafpaktos, the Turkish fleet was completely destroyed, since its 251 ships were sunk or captured, and of the 50,000 Turkish soldiers and sailors over 20.000 were killed.

In the Turkish ships also served about 1500 Greeks from the Turkish-occupied Greece who after the battle were released.

Many of the Latin nobles who lost their lives during the naval battle of Nafpaktos were buried in this church, so this is the reason for the historical significance of the monument.
After the demolition of the church, the bones of those Heroes were transferred to the Catholic cemetery.

Among the dead Christians were the Corfiots Halikiopoulos, Kontokalis, Kokkinis and Petros Bouas.

PETROS BOUAS became the Martyr of Freedom , he had the misfortune to be captured, the Turks dangled him alive and presented his skin as a loot to the Sultan.

Today efforts are being made to maintain and emerge the monument, but sometimes plans change, sometimes they are abandoned after they encounter various obstacles such as political feats, impotence, disclaimer …

Save Annunziata

Rovinia Beach in Corfu

Last updated on 13th January, 2018 at 08:40 pm

Rovinia is located in the area of Liapades in western Corfu just south of the rocky shores of Paleokastritsa.

Small, remote, beautiful and unspoiled.

It belongs to the group of hidden beautiful beaches of western Corfu, where the western coastal mountain range literally collapses steeply into the sea creating a natural dam of the coast from the interior of the island.

Rovinia considered by foreigners to be the most beautiful beach in Corfu.

It is accessible from the sea as well as from the land through a small path with steps, about 600 meters long, unlike the other isolated beaches of the area which are accessible only by the sea.

It is deserted, therefore not very crowded, with fine pebbles, little sand and a turquoise crystal clear sea in a landscape of exceptional natural beauty, it could be a nudist beach.

It is a small petal shaped beach, almost surrounded by tall rocks on both sides, rocks that at its southern end creating a small but spectacular cave.

Waters in Rovinia are crystal clear, fairly cold, almost frozen, as well as in the whole area of Paleokastritsa, due to the cold streams from the Adriatic that end up on these coasts.
They deepen abruptly so the beach is also suitable for those who want to use the surrounding rocks for diving.

We have not visited it yet, but seeing it from the pictures we have the impression that we been there already, or to be more presice we have found our selfs on a very similar beach many years ago, but we certainly do not remember where.

It is the famous Deja vu, this beach looks amazing the same in all with a beach that exists either in Lesvos or Lemnos islands in tha Aegean sea, but we certainly do not remember the place or the name …

In fact, Greece has so many beautiful places that resemble each other.

We hope to be able to visit Rovinia in the near future, in the meantime we try to convince you to visit it, it is worth the effort as those who were been there say, as well as the very positive comments by foreign tourists.

1 2 3 4 48