Last updated on February 14th, 2021 at 06:27 pm
Paleokastritsa Beach Resort on West coast – The Beauty of Nature
Paleokastritsa lays slightly north of the island’s west coast center, about 25 km from Corfu town. It is one of the most beautiful places in Corfu and the Ionian islands.
The area of Paleokastritsa is the valuable jewel of Corfu. Set on a number of bays separated by small promontories.
Paleokastritsa is green, yes but the whole Corfu is green after all, so what makes this place so memorable? Definitely is the beautiful shape of the seaside with the capes and bays-beaches between, 6 in total. Αnd the spectacular view from the hills above the resort from the village of Lakones.
Beaches are fully organized, especially the central beach called Agios Spiridon. All beaches with sunbeds and umbrellas, water sports, taxi boats, motorboats, and canoes for rent.
There are hotels and apartments in the Paleokastritsa area to suit all pockets. Also, many tavernas and bars strung out along the road, some on the hillside, and others on the water’s edge.
Beaches in Paleokastritsa
In the settlement`s area, there are seven beaches, separated by round-shaped capes.
- Ampelaki beach, the first on the line as we start from West.
- Agios Petros beach, very close to the first, inside the first cove.
- Palaiokastritsa or Agios Spiridon, the central beach, in between the two capes
- Alipa beach, where there is a small harbor, the Alipa port, suitable for small yachts, speed, and fishing boats. From this port, you can hire a boat to visit the neighboring isolated beaches and remote caves south of Paleokastritsa.
- Platakia beach.
- Agia Triada beach.
- The Easternmost beach of La Grotta, opposite the beach of Liapades a couple of miles to the East.
On the headland farthest out to the sea is the beautiful 12th-century monastery of Theotokos. Still working and occupied by cat-loving monks, and containing the famous icon of the Virgin in its church.
In this church also, the remains(bones) of a whale who extinct long ago on the rocks under the monastery, are kept inside a large glass box.
Photos from the Monastery
The view from the village on the hill above Paleokastritsa, Lakones, is stunning. Many visitors walk up the old donkey trail which goes between the two villages. And some go on up into the hills above, exploring the inland villages of Krini and Makrades.
A gentler walk would take you south to the village of Liapades. One of Corfu’s oldest and prettiest, where life seems to go on in the same way as it has for centuries.
Around Paleokastritsa and particularly to the south there are many secluded beaches. Hardly accessible or even isolated.
These are the hidden beaches of Corfu. All beaches with fine pebbles and some sand with crystal emerald clear waters without tourist development. Here you can discover the exotic beauty of Corfu.
In Paleokastritsa resort itself, boats can be hired to explore these surrounding beaches. There are boat trips also, and water sports- and a glass-bottomed boat to explore the world under the sea.
To the north is the old fortress of Angelokastro- a steep climb but the view makes it well worth the effort. And on the way back you can stop at one of the bars on the Lakones road. From here you can look not only down at Paleokastritsa but across the island’s Ropa Valley towards Corfu Town.
Photos from Paleokastritsa beaches
Resorts with beaches in Corfu
Erimitis area is the Northeastern tip of Corfu island, From the Agios Stefanos area in the East and stretches up to Kassiopi borders.… Read More
Next, to Korission lake, a small cedar forest between the large sandy beaches of Chalikouna and Issos.… Read More
Under Paleokastritsa, there are some high cliffs that end abruptly on the coast to create beautiful hidden beaches in Corfu.… Read More
Paleokastritsa, about 25 km from Corfu town. One of the most beautiful places in Corfu and the Ionian islands.… Read More
Sidari on the northwest end of Corfu. A large tourist resort and golden sandy beach up to the famous Canal d`Amour.… Read More
Peroulades is a small village with simple apartments and villas, perfect to enjoy the wonderful sandy beach.… Read More
Roda is one of the older villages on the north coast where tourism has been well established for many years.… Read More
Acharavi a few years ago was a village, clustered around the well in the middle, but now is a huge beach resort.… Read More
Kavos is on the southernmost edge of Corfu island, with rich and notorious nightlife.… Read More
Messonghi is a very large beach located on the east coast of Corfu, next to the large tourist resort of Moraitika.… Read More
The old village of Moraitika sits on a hill at the base of which lies the modern resort stretching down to the shore.… Read More
The village of Pelekas is situated on a hill overlooking all central Corfu. Kontogialos is the beach under the village.… Read More
Dassia was the site of Europe’s first Club Mediterranee, a large shingle beach, popular among families.… Read More
Ipsos is a large bay at the foot of Mount Pantocrator, It has water sports and a diving school. Dolphins can be seen out at sea.… Read More
Gouvia is a large bay and a popular holiday resort, but it now has an added attraction- the island’s largest marina.… Read More
Saint George is a resort in northwest Corfu, a spectacular huge horseshoe-shaped sandy bay, fringed with small hotels, bars, and tavernas.… Read More
Agios Gordios is a long wide sandy stretch, offering water sports and plenty of entertainment in the bars and tavernas along its length.… Read More
Barbati resort was until recently a stony beach beloved of Corfiots who came to picnic in the olive groves at weekends.… Read More
Rovinia beach is a small, remote, beautiful, and unspoiled beach in west Corfu. It is considered the most beautiful beach in Corfu.… Read More
Issos beach in Southwest Corfu lays just south of Chalikounas with Korission lake in the background and St George to the south.… Read More
Halikounas is several kilometers of sand in southwestern Corfu, between the northern Ionian sea and the Lake of Korission.… Read More
Glyfada is Corfu’s cosmopolitan beach, stretched at the bottom of an olive and cypress covered hill- looking out across the sea to Italy.… Read More
Ermones is on a dramatic cove at the west coast of Corfu, claiming to be the place where Odysseus landed and found the lovely Princess Nausika.… Read More
Saint Stefanos and Arillas, these two bays are great favorites with visitors who return year after year and really feel ‘local’.… Read More
Myrtiotissa is on the western coast of the island, and isolated, therefore since the 60`s it was the nudist beach of Corfu.… Read More
Nissaki means small island- and it is, now linked to the mainland, and containing one of the island’s oldest tavernas… Read More
Asprokavos and Arkoudilas capes - the hard-to-reach and wild beaches at the southern end of Corfu island… Read More
Gardenos beach is situated in the southwest end part of Corfu, it is the beachside of the traditional village of Vitalades.… Read More
The wide golden sandy beach of Santa Barbara in the southwest of the island of Corfu.… Read More
The large golden sandy beach of Marathia in southwest Corfu, many miles of sand stretching down south up to the cape of Arkoudilas.… Read More
St George south in Argyrades, 33 km from Corfu town, It is a tourist resort with a vast sandy beach also known as Saint George south.… Read More
- Bataria and Pipitos Beaches in Kassiopi Corfu October 9, 2020 Kassiopi has some beautiful pebble beaches in small bays with…
- Best Restaurants in Paleokastritsa October 19, 2019 Paleokastritsa on the west side of Corfu is best known…
- Best Areas to Stay in Corfu for Couples and Families February 2, 2019 Corfu island has holiday resorts for everybody, but there are…
- Erimitis Beaches: Hidden Jewels at North Corfu January 6, 2019 Erimitis area is the Northeastern tip of Corfu island, From…
- Benitses (Mpenitses) Village November 13, 2018 Benitses is an idyllic place, with a great past and…
- What are The 10 Top Beaches in Corfu Voted by You? June 27, 2017 The Top 10 beaches of Corfu, as voted by you…
- The Cedar Forest of Korission Lake at the Beaches of… June 9, 2017 Next, to Korission lake, a small cedar forest between the…
- 7 Hidden Corfu Paradise Beaches Near Paleokastritsa April 12, 2017 Under Paleokastritsa, there are some high cliffs that end abruptly…
- Sidari Corfu: Beach Resort and Canal d`Amour April 10, 2015 Sidari on the northwest end of Corfu. A large tourist…
- Peroulades and Loggas Wild Sandy Corfu Beach April 10, 2015 Peroulades is a small village with simple apartments and villas,…
- Roda Corfu: Beach and Holiday Resort at North April 10, 2015 Roda is one of the older villages on the north…
- Acharavi Beach: A Large Holiday Resort in North Corfu April 10, 2015 Acharavi a few years ago was a village, clustered around…