Last updated on May 17th, 2023 at 08:46 am
Here is our list of the things to do in Corfu that will help you to have an unforgettable experience during your stay on our magnificent island.
Corfu is a beautiful Greek island in the Ionian Sea with a rich history, stunning natural scenery, and a vibrant cultural scene, so choices are so many that none will get disappointed.
1. Things to Do in Corfu Old Town
Visiting Old Corfu Town is one of the top things to do during your staying on the Greek island of Corfu. This historic city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is known for its stunning Venetian architecture, charming cobblestone streets, and beautiful squares.
Corfu Old Town is one of the most charming and picturesque towns in Greece, with a rich history that dates back to the 8th century BC.
During your visit, you can explore the narrow streets, beautiful squares, and historic buildings, such as the Old Fortress, the Venetian New Fortress, the Liston, and the Palace of St. Michael and St. George all of them laying around the huge Esplanade square. You can also visit numerous museums, such as the Archaeological Museum of Corfu, the Museum of Asian Art, and the Municipal Gallery.
There are also plenty of cafes, restaurants, and shops where you can relax and enjoy the local cuisine and culture. As well as many shopping opportunities with local products such as olive oil, honey, herbs, spices, and some authentic Corfiot souvenirs.
Corfu Old Town is a captivating destination that offers a unique blend of history, culture, and beauty. Exploring its cobbled streets, admiring its architecture, and immersing yourself in its rich heritage is a must for any traveler visiting the island of Corfu.
2. Relax on the beaches
Corfu is renowned for its beautiful beaches with crystal-clear waters and golden sand. There are many exciting and beautiful beaches around the island worth visiting, such as Paleokastritsa which is on the west coast of the island with quite a few of the most picturesque beaches in Corfu. All are surrounded by lush green hills and turquoise waters, perfect for swimming and snorkeling.
The Beach of Sidari is Located on the north coast of the island, we are speaking about a long sandy beach that is popular for its unique rock formations, such as the Canal d’Amour.
Glyfada Beach is another must-see beach located on the west coast of the island, a large and organized beach with crystal clear waters and golden sand. It is popular for its water sports and beach bars.
And the nearby Myrtiotissa is a secluded and pristine beach located on the west coast of Corfu, known for its natural beauty and untouched landscape. The beach is surrounded by cliffs and offers stunning views of the Ionian Sea. It’s a nudist-friendly beach and is known for its peaceful and unspoiled atmosphere.
Agios Gordios is located on the west coast of the island, another scenic beach with fine sand and calm waters that are ideal for swimming and sunbathing.
Kassiopi is located on the northeast coast of the island and has some beautiful relatively small coves beaches perfect for relaxation.
Issos Beach on the south coast, is the larger beach on the island with dunes and a natural lagoon. It is perfect for those who enjoy nature and hiking.
These are just a few of the many beaches for enjoying the sea and sun, that Corfu has to offer. Each beach has its own unique charm and atmosphere, so you can choose the one that suits your preferences and enjoy a relaxing day on the beautiful beaches of Corfu.
3. Explore the Achilleion Palace
Exploring the Achilleion Palace is one of the top things to do while visiting Corfu. This beautiful palace is located in the village of Gastouri, about 10 km south of Corfu Town, and is known for its stunning architecture and beautiful gardens.
The palace was built in 1890 by the Empress Elisabeth of Austria (also known as Sisi) and was designed as a summer retreat. The palace is named after the mythical hero Achilles, and many of the rooms are decorated with frescoes and statues depicting scenes from his life.
One of the highlights of the palace is the Grand Hall, which features a stunning painting of Achilles by the German artist Franz Matsch. Other notable rooms include the Empress’s Bedroom, which is decorated in a neoclassical style, and the Throne Room, which features a beautiful ceiling painting of the Olympian gods.
Outside the palace, visitors can explore the beautiful gardens, which are filled with statues, fountains, and colorful flowers. The gardens offer stunning views of the surrounding countryside and the Ionian Sea.
In addition to exploring the palace and gardens, visitors can also enjoy a meal or a drink at the palace’s cafe, which is located in a beautiful outdoor setting overlooking the gardens.
Overall, the Achilleion Palace is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Corfu and offers a fascinating glimpse into the history and culture of the island.
4. Visit the Mon Repos Palace
Visiting the Mon Repos Palace is a popular activity for visitors to Corfu. The palace is located in a beautiful park on the outskirts of Corfu Town, about 3 km south of the city center.
The palace was built in 1828 as a summer residence for the British Lord High Commissioner of the Ionian Islands, and it later became the summer residence of the Greek royal family. Today, the palace is open to the public as a museum and is a great place to learn about the island’s history and culture.
Inside the palace, visitors can explore the elegant rooms, which are decorated with beautiful frescoes, chandeliers, and furniture from the 19th century. One of the highlights of the palace is the ballroom, which features a stunning ceiling painting of the Greek god Apollo and the nine muses.
Outside the palace, visitors can explore the beautiful gardens, which are filled with exotic plants and trees from around the world. The gardens offer stunning views of the surrounding countryside and the Ionian Sea, and there are several walking paths that take you through the park.
In addition to exploring the palace and gardens, visitors can also enjoy a meal or a drink at the palace’s cafe, which is located in a beautiful outdoor setting overlooking the gardens.
Overall, the Mon Repos Palace is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in the history and culture of Corfu, and it offers a unique glimpse into the island’s past.
5. Explore the Palace of St. Michael and St. George
The Palace of St. Michael and St. George is a historic building located in the heart of Corfu Town. Built-in the early 19th century, it served as the residence of the British High Commissioner and is now used as a museum and cultural center. Here are some things to see and do when exploring the Palace of St. Michael and St. George:
Today, the palace houses the Museum of Asian Art, which is one of the most important museums of its kind in Europe. The museum’s collection includes over 10,000 works of art from all over Asia, including China, Japan, India, and Tibet. Some of the highlights of the museum’s collection include rare Buddhist sculptures, Japanese samurai swords, and Chinese porcelain.
In addition to the Museum of Asian Art, the palace also houses the Municipal Art Gallery, which features a collection of works by Corfu’s most famous artists, including Spyros Vassiliou, Andreas Kalvos, and Angelos Giallinas.
The palace itself is also a sight to behold, with its neoclassical architecture and beautiful gardens. Visitors can take a guided tour of the palace to learn more about its history and architecture.
Overall, the Palace of St. Michael and St. George is a must-see destination for anyone visiting Corfu Old Town. Whether you are interested in art, history, or architecture, there is something for everyone to enjoy at this beautiful palace.
6. Take a boat tour
Taking a boat tour in Corfu is an excellent way to explore the island’s stunning coastline and nearby islands. There are many boat tours available, ranging from short trips to nearby beaches to full-day excursions that explore the island’s hidden coves and remote beaches.
Some of the best boat tours to consider is a full-day tour that takes you to the nearby islands of Paxos and Antipaxos, where you can swim in crystal-clear waters and explore the beautiful beaches and caves.
Or, a Blue Lagoon and Sivota Tour to the beautiful Blue Lagoon on the coasts of Epirus, where you can swim in the turquoise waters and relax on the sandy beaches. You’ll also visit the charming fishing village of Sivota and enjoy a traditional Greek lunch at a seaside tavern.
A romantic evening cruise takes you along Corfu’s beautiful coastline as the sun sets over the Ionian Sea. You’ll enjoy a glass of champagne and watch as the sky turns shades of orange and pink.
It’s a brilliant idea to try a Corfu town and Vidos Island tour, around the historic town of Corfu, where you can explore the charming alleyways and visit famous landmarks such as the Old Fortress and the Liston. You’ll also visit Vidos Island, which is located just off the coast of Corfu and is known for its beautiful beaches and crystal-clear waters.
Finally, if you’re looking for a more personalized experience, you can hire a private boat and captain to take you on a custom tour of the island. This is a great option for couples or small groups who want to explore the island at their own pace and visit hidden coves and beaches that are not accessible by land.
No matter which boat tour you choose, you’re sure to enjoy a beautiful day on the water and experience the beauty of Corfu from a unique perspective.
7. Hike in the countryside
Corfu has a varied landscape that is perfect for hiking, with beautiful beaches, lush forests, and stunning mountain ranges. Here are some of the popular hiking trails in Corfu:
- The Corfu Trail: This is a long-distance hiking trail that covers the entire length of the island, from the southernmost point to the northernmost point. It passes through beautiful villages, olive groves, and stunning mountain ranges, offering a unique perspective of the island’s natural beauty.
- Mount Pantokrator: This is the highest mountain in Corfu, and hiking to its summit is a popular activity for outdoor enthusiasts. The trail to the summit is challenging but rewarding, with stunning views of the island’s coastline and the Ionian Sea.
- Erimitis Trail: This is a beautiful coastal trail that follows the northern coast of Corfu, passing through secluded coves, olive groves, and stunning natural scenery.
- Canal d’Amour: This is a short and easy hike that takes you through the unique rock formations of the Canal d’Amour, located on the north coast of Corfu.
- The Olive Grove Trail: This is a beautiful hiking trail that takes you through the olive groves of Corfu, passing through picturesque villages and stunning natural scenery.
These are just a few of the many hiking trails available in Corfu. Whether you are a seasoned hiker or a beginner, there is a trail for everyone to enjoy the island’s natural beauty on foot.
8. Visit the Vlacherna Monastery
The Vlacherna Monastery is a famous landmark and popular tourist attraction in Corfu. The monastery is located on a small island near the airport, connected to the mainland by a narrow causeway. Visitors can access the monastery by foot or boat.
The Vlacherna Monastery was built in the 17th century and is known for its beautiful architecture and picturesque location. The monastery has a traditional Byzantine style and is painted in vibrant colors, with a bell tower and a dome. The interior of the monastery features beautiful frescoes and icons, as well as a small museum that showcases the history and culture of the region.
Visitors can also explore the beautiful grounds of the monastery, which feature a lush garden, a small chapel, and a pier where boats depart to the nearby Mouse Island. Mouse Island is a small, uninhabited island located just a short distance from the Vlacherna Monastery. The island is known for its stunning beauty, and visitors can take a boat tour around the island or hike to the top for panoramic views of the surrounding sea and landscape.
Overall, the Vlacherna Monastery is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Corfu. The monastery’s beautiful architecture, stunning location, and rich history make it a popular destination for tourists and locals alike.
9. Enjoy the local cuisine
Corfu is renowned for its delicious and unique cuisine that has been influenced by a variety of cultures, including Italian, French, and Greek.
In Corfu, you shouldn’t miss trying some of the most famous Corfiot recipes, such as the following:
- Sofrito: This is a signature dish of Corfu, made with thinly sliced beef that is cooked in a sauce made of white wine, garlic, and vinegar. It is usually served with rice or mashed potatoes.
- Pastitsada: This is another popular dish that is made with chicken or beef and a spicy tomato-based sauce, served with thick pasta.
- Bourdeto: This is a fish dish that is made with scorpion fish, a local fish found in the waters around Corfu. The fish is cooked in a tomato-based sauce with hot red pepper flakes.
- Bianco: Bianco is a traditional dish from the island of Corfu. It’s a stew made with white fish, potatoes, onions, and garlic, simmered in a white wine sauce with herbs and spices.
- Corfiot Sweets: Corfu is also known for its unique sweets, such as the Mandolato, a nougat-like candy made with almonds, sugar, and honey, and the Pasteli, a sesame and honey bar.
When it comes to drinks, you should try some of the local wines, such as the white wine Robola or the red wine Petrokoritho. You can also try some of the local liqueurs, such as Kumquat liqueur, which is made from the fruit of the same name.
Overall, Corfu has a rich culinary tradition that you should definitely explore during your visit. Whether you are looking for traditional dishes or unique local sweets and drinks, there is something for everyone to enjoy in Corfu.
10. Visit Aqualand
Aqualand is a popular water park located in the center of Corfu Island, near the village of Agios Ioannis. It is one of the largest water parks in Greece and features a wide variety of attractions, including water slides, wave pools, and lazy rivers.
Some of the most popular attractions at Aqualand include:
- Black Hole: This is a thrilling ride that takes you through a dark, twisting tunnel before dropping you into a pool at the end.
- Kamikaze: This is a high-speed slide that takes you down a steep drop, reaching speeds of up to 50km/h.
- Family Rafting: This is a fun ride that you can enjoy with your family or friends, as you slide down a twisting and turning slide in a large inflatable raft.
- Wave Pool: This is a large pool that generates waves, creating a fun and exciting experience for swimmers of all ages.
- Lazy River: This is a relaxing ride that takes you on a slow-moving river, allowing you to sit back and enjoy the scenery.
In addition to the water attractions, Aqualand also has a variety of restaurants and snack bars where you can enjoy a meal or a drink during your visit.
Overall, Aqualand is a great place to visit if you are looking for a fun and exciting day out with family or friends. With its wide variety of attractions and amenities, there is something for everyone to enjoy at this popular water park in Corfu.
11. Attend a cultural event
Corfu is a culturally rich island with a long and fascinating history, and there are many cultural events and festivals that take place throughout the year. Here are some of the most popular cultural events that you can attend in Corfu:
- Easter Celebrations: Easter is an important holiday in Corfu, and the island celebrates it with a series of unique and fascinating events, such as the throwing of clay pots from windows and balconies.
- Saint Spyridon Festival: Saint Spyridon is the patron saint of Corfu, and his festival takes place on December 12th every year. It includes a grand procession, music, dancing, and plenty of food and drink.
- International Music Festival: This annual music festival takes place in September and features performances from both local and international musicians, covering a wide range of musical genres.
- Summer Festivals: During the summer months, there are many festivals and cultural events that take place throughout Corfu, such as the Corfu Beer Festival and the Corfu Wine Festival.
- Folklore Museum: Located in the historic Old Town of Corfu, the Folklore Museum is dedicated to preserving and showcasing the island’s rich cultural heritage, including traditional costumes, musical instruments, and artifacts.
Attending a cultural event in Corfu is a great way to experience the island’s unique traditions and customs, as well as to mingle with locals and visitors from around the world. With a variety of events taking place throughout the year, there is always something exciting to see and do in Corfu.
12. Take a trip to Pantokrator Mountain
Taking a trip to Pantokrator Mountain in Corfu is a great way to enjoy stunning panoramic views. Here’s what you can expect on a trip to Pantokrator Mountain:
- Transportation: The easiest way to get to Pantokrator Mountain is by car or taxi. The journey takes around 45 minutes from Corfu Town, and the road up the mountain is steep and winding.
- Hiking: Pantokrator Mountain is a popular destination for hikers, who come to explore the mountain’s rugged terrain and enjoy the stunning views. There are several hiking trails that lead to the summit, ranging from easy to difficult. The most popular trail is the one that starts in the village of Old Perithia, which takes around two hours to reach the summit.
- Monastery of Pantokrator: At the summit of the mountain, you’ll find the Monastery of Pantokrator, a Byzantine-era monastery that dates back to the 14th century. The monastery is open to visitors, and you can explore its ancient frescoes and learn about its history.
- Views: From the summit of Pantokrator Mountain, you’ll enjoy stunning panoramic views of Corfu and the surrounding islands. On a clear day, you can see as far as Albania and Italy.
- Refreshments: At the summit of the mountain, there is a café where you can enjoy refreshments and snacks while taking in the views.
Overall, a trip to Pantokrator Mountain is a great way to escape the crowds of Corfu and experience the island’s natural beauty. Whether you choose to hike to the summit or simply enjoy the views from the café, you’re sure to have a memorable experience.
13. Go on a wine tour
Going on a wine tour in Corfu is a wonderful way to explore the island’s beautiful countryside, sample some delicious wines, and learn about the local winemaking traditions. Here are some of the wineries and vineyards that you can visit on a wine tour in Corfu:
- Theotoky Estate: This family-owned winery is located in the picturesque Ropa Valley and has been producing wine for over 150 years. The estate produces a variety of wines, including white, rose, and red, and offers guided tours and tastings.
- Silla Estate: Located in the village of Sinarades, this winery has a beautiful vineyard that overlooks the sea. They produce a variety of wines, including red, white, and rose, and offer tours and tastings.
- Corfu Microbrewery and Vineyard: This winery is located in the village of Arillas and produces a variety of wines and craft beers. They offer tours and tastings, as well as a restaurant where you can enjoy a meal paired with their wines and beers.
- Goulis Winery: Located in the village of Liapades near Paleokastritsa, this winery produces a variety of wines, including red, white, and rose. They offer tours and tastings, as well as a beautiful outdoor space where you can enjoy a glass of wine and take in stunning views.
- Grammenos Family Wines: Grammenos Family Wines is a family-owned winery located in Sinarades village. The winery produces a range of high-quality wines, including white, red, and rosé varieties, using locally grown grapes.
During a wine tour in Corfu, you can expect to learn about the island’s winemaking traditions, taste some delicious wines, and enjoy the beautiful scenery of the countryside. It’s a great way to spend a day exploring this beautiful island!
14. Take a day trip to Paxos and Antipaxos
Taking a day trip to Paxos and Antipaxos is a popular activity for visitors to Corfu. Paxos and Antipaxos are two small islands located to the south of Corfu, known for their crystal-clear waters, secluded beaches, and stunning natural beauty. Here’s what you can expect on a day trip to Paxos and Antipaxos:
- Boat tour: Most day trips to Paxos and Antipaxos start with a boat tour from Corfu. You’ll travel by ferry or speedboat to the islands, which takes around an hour.
- Paxos: Paxos is the larger of the two islands and is known for its beautiful villages, secluded beaches, and turquoise waters. You can explore the island on foot or by bike, and visit attractions like the Venetian fortress, the Church of Ypapanti, and the Blue Caves.
- Antipaxos: Antipaxos is a small, uninhabited island known for its stunning beaches and crystal-clear waters. You can go swimming, snorkeling, or simply relax on the beach and enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
- Lunch: Most day trips to Paxos and Antipaxos include a stop for lunch on one of the islands. You can enjoy traditional Greek food at a local taverna, and take in the stunning views of the sea.
- Return trip: After a full day of exploring Paxos and Antipaxos, you’ll take the boat back to Corfu, arriving in the late afternoon or early evening.
Overall, a day trip to Paxos and Antipaxos is a great way to escape the crowds of Corfu and experience some of the most beautiful islands in the Ionian Sea. The natural beauty, crystal-clear waters, and peaceful surroundings make for a truly memorable day out.
15. Go scuba diving
Going scuba diving in Corfu is a great way to explore the island’s underwater world, which is home to a variety of marine life and beautiful coral reefs. Here are some places where you can go scuba diving in Corfu:
- Achilleon Diving Center: Located at the beautiful Paleokastritsa, Achilleon Diving Center offers a range of scuba diving experiences, including guided dives, PADI certification courses, and night dives. They cater to divers of all levels of experience and provide high-quality equipment and knowledgeable guides.
- Corfu Dive Club: Located in Gouvia, Corfu Dive Club offers a range of scuba diving experiences, including guided dives, PADI certification courses, and wreck dives. They cater to divers of all levels of experience and provide high-quality equipment and knowledgeable guides.
- Apollo Dive Center: This diving center is located in Nissaki and offers a range of courses and guided dives, as well as snorkeling trips and boat tours.
- The Blue Hole: The Blue Hole is not a diving center but a popular dive site located off the coast of Paleokastritsa, with a depth of 35 meters. The site features a large underwater cave, a variety of marine life, and stunning rock formations.
During a scuba diving experience in Corfu, you can expect to see a variety of marine life, including fish, octopuses, sea turtles, and sometimes even dolphins. You can explore underwater caves, tunnels, and wrecks, and enjoy the clear blue waters of the Ionian Sea. It’s a great way to experience the beauty of Corfu from a different perspective.
16. Take a bike tour
Taking a bike tour in Corfu is a great way to explore the island’s beautiful scenery, enjoy some exercise, and experience the local culture. Here are some places where you can take a bike tour in Corfu:
- Corfu Mountain Bike Shop: This shop offers a range of guided mountain bike tours that take you through the island’s stunning countryside and forests. They cater to riders of all levels of experience and provide high-quality mountain bikes for the tour.
- Ionian Bikes: Located in the village of Gouvia, Ionian Bikes offers a range of guided bike tours that take you through the countryside, along the coast, and into the villages. They have a variety of bikes to choose from, including road bikes, mountain bikes, and e-bikes.
- Cycling Corfu: This company offers a range of guided and self-guided bike tours that take you through the countryside and along the coast. They cater to riders of all levels of experience and provide high-quality bikes and knowledgeable guides.
- Active Corfu: This company offers a variety of guided bike tours that take you through the countryside and along the coast, as well as a variety of other outdoor activities. They cater to riders of all levels of experience and provide high-quality bikes and knowledgeable guides.
During a bike tour in Corfu, you can expect to see some stunning scenery, visit some local villages and attractions, and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. It’s a great way to get some exercise, experience the local culture, and enjoy the beauty of this beautiful island.
17. Go horse riding
Going horse riding in Corfu is one of the most exciting things to do in Corfu and a great way to explore the island’s beautiful countryside by enjoying a unique and exciting experience. Here are some of the places where you can go horse riding in Corfu:
- Trailriders Corfu: This is a popular horse riding service on the island and they offer excursions near Roda. They provide pick-up and drop-off services from your hotel or accommodation and offer rides through olive groves, villages, and along the beach.
- Dimitra Horse Riding: This stable is located in nearby Acharavi and offers beach rides, countryside rides, and lessons for riders of all levels.
- Island Trails: This horse riding service is located in the village of Loutses, which is a short drive from Roda. They offer excursions through the hills and olive groves of the surrounding area.
- Corfu Riding Centre: Corfu Riding Centre is a horse riding stable located in the Issos area and run by Dimitris, who is a highly experienced rider and trainer and offers a range of horse riding services, including lessons and excursions. Corfu Riding Centre also offers horse riding excursions through the beautiful countryside and along the beach.
- Corfu Horse Riding: This stable is located in Avlaki, which is also nearby Agios Spiridon Perithia. They offer beach rides, sunset rides, and countryside rides.
- Katreena Horse Riding: Katreena Horse Riding is a popular stable located in the Roda area of Corfu. They offer a range of horse riding services, including lessons and excursions, and are open year-round.
During a horse riding experience in Corfu, you can expect to see some beautiful countryside, ride along the beach, and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. Whether you’re an experienced rider or a beginner, there are plenty of options for horse riding in Corfu that can provide you with an unforgettable experience.
This is our favorite list of the best things to do in Corfu. Now you already have a huge number of options for you to start and help you during your holidays in Corfu.
We wish that our list of things you can do will help you to enjoy your holidays without missing a thing.
Leave a Comment