Last updated on September 18th, 2019 at 07:12 am
During the era of the British rule, High Commissioner Sir Frederick Adams in 1819 decided to build a house for him and his family.
But he was a little exaggerated and instead of a house he created a unique palace in a Georgian style, The Palace of Saint Michael and Saint George in Corfu.
The building was designed by the English engineer Colonel Sir George Whitmore (1775-1862) and despite its enormous size is elegant and beautiful. It has been described as the best example of regency architecture outside Britain.
It is the largest palace in Greece, second only to the palace of King Otto in Athens, which today houses the Greek parliament.
The large line of Doric columns has two gates, the Gate of St. Michael and the gate of St. George.
In the garden is the statue of commissioner Frederick Adams made by Corfiot sculptor Pavlos Prosalendis.
Outside it has carved representations of the Ionian Islands and within two rows of Ionic columns surrounding the main hall, showing scenes from the Odyssey.
The first floor is decorated with Corinthian columns.
There are three main halls: the ballroom, the throne-room and the symposium room.
The palace previously housed the Ionian Senate and is the home of the Order of Saint Michael and Saint George.
For half of the century, it was also the summer residence of the former Greek royal family. Today it has been refurbished as a museum displaying classical antiquities.
A meeting of the summit of the European Union was held here in 1994.
The building looks over the north side of Spianada square on Iroon Politechniou street and also houses the Asian Art Museum and the Municipal Gallery.
More Sightseeings in Corfu
Mon Repos Palace is a neoclassical building at the east of Paleopolis, the Corfu ancient city.
Built at 1830 by the British Commissioner Sir Frederick Adam in the beginning of the peninsula of Kanoni opposite the ruins of Paleopolis….… Read More
Another example of the high capacity of Venetians in fortification, and an architectural marvel of art built by the Venetians and with physical labor of the inhabitants from 1576 until 1645…..… Read More
This was originally a natural promontory offering in its rocks protection for the residents of the 5th century AD when the ancient city of Corfu was moved here after the destruction of the ancient city by the Visigoths.… Read More
Annunziata, a monument of pan-European significance. At the intersection of Evgeniou Voulgareos and Vrahliotis streets in Corfu, is the Annunziata, a church devoted to the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary as well as to Santa Luccia, it was the Catholic Church of Lontsiada as the Corfiots knew it.… Read More
10 km south of the city and three kms north of the village of Benitses on the edge of the village of Gastouri sits the beautiful Achilleion(Achillion) Palace.
It was built by Empress Elizabeth of Austria who became known as the sad queen Sisi.… Read More
If you fancy a journey in your imagination explore the site of the ancient city of Corfu, known as Paleopolis (Old City).
It was discovered after archaeological excavations during the last century. The city was founded in the 8th century BC by Dorian Greeks from Korinth.… Read More
Due to rich historical and cultural heritage, the museums in Corfu are many and offer a wide variety of exhibits from Neolithic times to the present, there are also cultural museums dedicated to the rich intellectual life of the Ionian Islands, a bright example is Corfu Reading Society.… Read More
On an island like Corfu, with huge rainfall and rich and inexhaustible water table, one would expect that the water supply of the city of Corfu with plenty of good quality water would be an easy task, but this is not the case.… Read More
Roman remains are not something many visitors associate with Corfu, but traveling around you can get glimpses which show you that their occupation was definitely not a quick holiday stop! Many conquerors have left their marks on the island.… Read More